Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Abacus Prank - Execution (2 of 3)

This monkey had had enough.

In the heat of the moment, quite unlike the monkeynapping prank I will regale you with later, I decided to write a fake IT memo that would start off contrite, and then devolve into an even more outrageous proposal than they had already made.

I wrote it, gave it a brief edit, found a sweet picture to put it in (thanks, Wikipedia), and printed two copies off. One I posted in our copy room, on the wall in a totally readable but not conspicuous place. The other went on an announcement board (empty at the time) in the office area for our blue collar workers. Then I went back to my cubicle and waited. This was late in the afternoon.

First thing the next morning, the announcement board one was gone, much to my chagrin, since our blue collar people come in early. Did a manager remove it? Some uptight worker? Don't know.

The copy room one was totally there, but no one was paying it any attention. I had to change my deployment strategy.

I snagged the copy room document, copied it 7 times, and walked the two feet over to everyone's mailbox and threw it in the boxes of people I knew would appreciate it.

Sure enough, by the afternoon, people had read it, were talking about it, and were generally enjoying it. I was immediately suspected, but have deflected blame for the most part.

The copy room one came down a day or two later. I have not been called in to anyone's office. I know our security could find out who printed this document (everything sent to the printer is logged), but either they haven't or are holding their cards close to their chest. Had I not been so impulsive, I would've printed it at home and brought it in.

No comments: